Monday, September 21, 2009

Making Hope Happen

If you really know me, you know I am a planner and an organizer. I love to set goals, and have achieved most that I have set for myself and my family. So it is no wonder I would start reading a magazine for women over the age 40 for the last 2 years.
{ I'll be 40 in January.}

The magazine is called "More". Check it out.


There is an article in the September issue of this year,
entitled....




"A PLAN TO MAKE YOUR HOPES HAPPEN".


by Judy Jones


So, I will quote directly from the article.....

"Add an economic recession.....and it's not surprising if you feel out of sorts. You're not depressed exactly, just increasingly persuaded that the life you have, whatever its rewards and pleasures, is not delivering the ride you thought you bought a ticket for."
{Validation!! there are people out there, other than me that feel this way.}
There is a Q & A section in which they define hope:
"We define hope as goal-oriented thinking - in that sense it's different from optimism, which is a sort of general expectation that good things will happen. In our definition, hope is more active than passive wishing. It includes two components, which we call pathways and agency. Pathway thinking reflects your ability to come up with lots of different ways to get what you want in the future. Agency is the amount of energy, will or motivation you bring using those routes."
*************
For me, the future is very uncertain. Since I am a planner and I can not plan, I am having a hard with time with hope. This article helped me realize why. You need to be able to see the future and then work towards it. Well, I can't do this right now. Let's say I feel a little, well, hopeless. It isn't a constant feeling but it is definitely in the background. I go about my day doing the same routine that we all find ourselves doing. I don't have a problem with that. I have fun with the Littles, we laugh, we play, we have family night. I cook, I clean, Mister D and I have date night. I don't have a problem waking up and being productive, I volunteer at the Littles' school, help out a friend 2 days a week and work on the yard when I have down time. I just can't see past the week and into the future.
There is a list of top 10 stressors of life. I recently heard Michael Savage, from the Savage Nation, speak about these on his radio show. I wanted to pull over and call. As he spoke, he was asking if anyone had 3 or more of these "stressors" going on right now. I was amazed to hear the list of more than 10, and realized that we have experienced half a dozen of them in the course of the last year.

Here is our list:

loss of employment, change in financial status, death of a close family member, selling/buying a house, moving, personal injury/illness

The number 1 stress is loosing your spouse - this has happened to my Mother-in-law, for many months I cried because of the pain she must be going through. I  could not imagine being without my husband. I feel that her loss is way worse than anything that I may be feeling. But, I too have a loss. The end of the life I knew. A life with a certain amount of certainty. A loss of financial security. A loss of my identity as a worker.  A loss of time with my oldest child as she is "away for college". A loss of time with my husband as he is working 2 jobs.
I am feeling very insecure, I verbalized that I have lost hope, last week...That sounded so terrible...It was as if it was coming from another person. I realized I said it out loud and immediately felt that something had to change.
I spent some days being very frustrated, trying to figure out what to do next. It seems that I can't figure this out.
Many years ago, I heard the term "Let go and Let God". I did not understand that term when I first heard it. I have since then experienced this 'letting go and letting God'.  So, why is it so hard to do this now? How do I act on faith that He will guide me and that through Him miracles can happen?

I have always been optimistic, I have read many books on positivity and have attended many different seminars and have even given speeches on optimism. You would think that I was prepared and could apply all that I have learned. Why is it, that when you so desperately need to use the things you've learned,
it is so hard to call upon?

This is a lesson for me to learn.

Are you able to apply learning as soon as you have the knowledge?
This is a character building opportunity and I am failing miserably. This I want to change.
Easier said than done but I am accepting the challenge.
I started reading the scriptures because, let me tell you once you feel like you have lost faith or upset with your Maker for "all these things". There is no where to go but back to him on bended knees, pleading forgiveness for loosing hope. Leaving pride and control aside and becoming humble, and in a way submissive to His powers.

Prayer. Prayer is the answer. So, I am going to Pray. If you will pray with me too I know I will be able to move on and my situation will improve.
This is where a new beginning starts and making hope, happens .

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through God which strengthens me.

3 comments:

  1. Gordon B. Hinckley
    "We know not what lies ahead of us. We know not what the coming days will bring. We live in a world of uncertainty. For some, there will great accomplishment. For others, disappointment. For some, much of rejoicing and gladness, good health, and gracious living. For others, perhaps sickness and a measure of sorrow. We do not know. But one thing we do know. Like the polar star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you with all my heart. I am sorry it is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this Michelle. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete