Sunday, November 1, 2009

What A Novel Thought

This month is National Novel Writing Month and I have signed up. I am not sure what this journey will bring me. I love to read and write but I am not sure how to write fiction and this is about fiction. There are only a few requirements, the novel must be 50,000 words, it must be fiction, it has to be original, nothing you have written about before today and it all has to be done in 30 days.

Here are my thoughts on Fiction, not that I am procrastinating on my new literary challenge. I am just hoping I can think of something to write about.

In reality, you know what has happened to you and the experiences you have are easy to write. Making up something is quite the opposite. Maybe as a young child, I had a wild imagination filled with great stories. Now, as a mother with such a busy schedule and so many children with their own imaginations, I hardly have time to imagine anything. However, I do have hopes and dreams and so I am going to try to call upon those to help me write.

There has been what I consider great blessings, rewards, and tragedies in my life. They may be more or less than others but they are mine and no one else’s and these things are the truths that I hold deep in my mind and heart and will never let them go. How do I think of falsehoods? It feels like lying if I write a story I am making up, something that has never happened. Do I have to write about creatures or science fiction to make it work for me? I am not sure. I think that if I am to write something false, it should be a happy, uplifting story. A great tell of love and triumph. I also know that to feel love and have triumph you have to have opposition, as how could you know how deeply you are loved, or how deeply you love someone and how would you know victory? In addition, I do not want to use any fowl language or sexual suggestive material as is found in so much these days and even though it seems that sex may sell, I do not want to sell that. The challenge than is to write about romance, like Jane Austen. Nevertheless, I most definitely do not want my work compared to hers, as that would be a total let down.

Therefore, tonight I will sleep and dream of a story that will have you so entranced, you will not be able to wait for the next word……I hope.


If you want to join me in this adventure, google: National Novel Writing Month and sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment