Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Mister and Me



Mazzy Star Concert April 7, 2012

Amongst many things, Mister D loves music.
When we were dating, he introduced me to some of his favorite bands.  Some of the music I heard before, but never knew the details as he did.  I could not remember the name of songs or the name of the band that went with it. 
   I grew up listening to my parents’ music.  I would listen to their records repeatedly. The Bee Gees, The Mandrell Sisters, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Barry Manilow, the Beatles to name a few. You get it...I was a music nerd and not in a good way. Good thing music knowledge was not a criteria for dating.
I would come to love my Mister D’s choice in music.  He was very discerning, a real aficionado, I thought.  He knew what he liked. and why.
  He not only knew the name of the song and the band, but also all the facts of each of the individuals in the band and how they got their start. 
Just as in real life how he cared for peoples individual needs and paid close attention to detail. He took the time for those he listened to day after day.

His love of music would make wonderful moments of romance over the years to follow. (I would like to mention that Mister D can sing.  Although he would never admit it or share it very often. He would sing for me occasionally and it was beautiful.)  One of his favorite bands, which soon became one of mine, was Mazzy Star.  There was one song in particular that we both liked very much and would soon be OUR song.  It was entitled Fade in to You.  We would dance in slow circles in the living room, bedroom, and kitchen. We would lounge in bed listening to the fuzzy guitar sounds, jingles of the tambourine and folksy compositions…I am not sure any other way of describing it…probably very different than he would.  Anyhow, I found it very relaxing and romantic.
Later, when I was expecting our first child, and experiencing contractions he pulled me close and began swaying softly back and forth in the small confined labor and delivery room,   he hummed a melody in my ear.  I was in heaven. 
Years would pass, our beloved band broke up but the songs remained
and we were still together listening to them.

Expecting our third child, Mister D. read that the band decided to reunite and they were going to be playing at a small venue only an hour away.  This was also just days before his birthday.  He quickly bought tickets for us and we waited in anticipation.  As the day came closer, I was not getting around nearly as well, having some issues with my pregnant body.  I was not sure if I should go.  I thought that maybe he should take Little G instead.  He said that he wanted me to go even if we could only stay a half hour and he would do everything in his power to make me comfortable.
  I got all dressed up, curled my hair, put on makeup and a special belt with a bow, just above my round belly.  Little G came in and asked why I was getting all dressed.  “A special occasion. Daddy and I are going on a date.”  I told her.  Mister D washed his convertible and got a haircut.  Special indeed!
We went to an early dinner at the best restaurant in town and then headed to Sacramento, about an hour away. We arrived at 6:30. The place was small and intimate.  Standing room only. We found a small table next to a column and claimed it for our own.  There were two opening acts before Mazzy Star would perform and my feet were swollen.  I am glad I put my flip-flops in my purse at the last minute.  Mister D helped me to a sitting position on the little table and I adjusted and readjusted until it was time for the main act.  I did not think I was going to make it much longer and was worried that we would have to leave early.
Almost ten o’clock and Hope Sandavol took the stage.
I rested my head on my Mister D’s chest, he smelt so good.  I listened to the gentle sound of familiarity and it soothed my aches.
7 songs later and I couldn’t sit anymore and knew it was time to go.
I felt bad, when I told him we needed to go,  but he already  knew and was waiting for me to say something. He told me he was thankful that we got to stay for as long as we did.  I told him I needed to go to the bathroom first and he followed and waited just outside the doors.  Just as I entered the stall, OUR song started to play.  I wobbled as fast as I could and found him about 15 feet away from the ban! The side of the stage was completely open to us.  He pulled me close to him and we danced to our song, Fade in to Me. He whispered in my ear that he could not believe that this was a better spot than we had been in all night long and we would not have been so close at that very moment if I had not asked to leave.  We danced to OUR song.  It was so romantic and a million memories came flowing into my head.
We had a little kiss right there and the song was over.
Just before we left, he bought two t-shirts one for him and one he promised Little G. He bought me a tote bag and hand in hand, we left for home.
A few days later I overheard Mister D telling his little sister about our date with Mazzy Star and listened to him recall how the night ended and how we held each other and danced softly at the side of the stage.  This truly gave my heart a flutter.
I love this man of mine and the music he brings into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment